Winter will be here before you know it, and it’s time to start thinking about plumbing maintenance in Shreveport, LA. When temperatures dip below freezing overnight, the water in your pipes freezes, too. As water expands and freezes, it can cause cracks to develop in your pipes and result in extensive damage that requires costly repairs to fix. Follow the simple tips below to protect your plumbing system and avoid the cost and hassle of system repairs.
Here are several ways to prepare your plumbing system for the winter months and prevent damage caused by frozen pipes:
- Maintain a warm climate in your home: While you might be tempted to shut off your heater during the winter at nighttime or when you’re away from home, you should maintain a sufficiently warm environment to ensure frozen pipe prevention in Shreveport, LA. Allowing your home’s interior temperature to dip too low can increase the risk of frozen pipes. Keep your thermostat set to at least 50°F to protect your pipes.
- Keep faucets open: One of the most effective things you can do to prevent your pipes from freezing is keep water moving through them. Moving water does not freeze as readily as standing water, and even a small rate of motion can do a lot to prevent pipes from freezing. Open up faucets before you go to bed, just enough to allow them to drip slowly.
- Insulate exposed pipes: Winterize any pipes that are exposed to cold winter conditions by wrapping them with pipe insulation. Pipe insulation materials are inexpensive, and they are very effective at reducing the risk of pipe freezing during the winter months. Use plumbing insulation on any pipes that are exposed to the outdoors and wrap up outdoor fixtures that won’t be in use during the wintertime.
- Open cabinets and interior doors: Temperatures in kitchen and bathroom cabinets can get a lot lower than temperatures in the rest of your home. Open cabinets periodically throughout the day and overnight to regulate the temperature under sinks and keep pipes warm to prevent freezing. Open up interior doors in your home to prevent unequal heat distribution and to keep the indoor temperature as consistent as possible throughout your home.
- Get professional help with winterization: If you’re concerned about winterizing your pipes or you’re currently dealing with plumbing issues in your home, consider contacting a professional to help you. Professional plumbers have the experience necessary to provide winterization services to protect your pipes. In addition, plumbers will offer maintenance and repair services to get your system working as effectively and efficiently as possible in preparation for the winter months.
Schedule plumbing maintenance in Shreveport, LA
For professional help with plumbing maintenance in Shreveport, LA, reach out to Perot Plumbing, LLC. As a locally owned and operated business, we are dedicated to providing quality services, including winterization and plumbing maintenance. We can provide you with the services and advice you need to prepare your plumbing system for winter and protect your pipes from damage. Contact us to schedule a consultation and receive a service quote.